Puttin' On The Ritz

More sophisticated by the second, etc.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Condition Indigo, etc.

March 22, 2006 -- Galapagos, Brooklyn
I was a little disoriented when I walked into the room and was greeted by six or so women on stage dressed in bikinis and wearing brightly colored wigs. I say six or so because I did not bother to take an exact count, it was all a little too weird for me. They had costume changes to augment the fact that their backing band was a cd player emitting strange midi tunes. I believe the name of the act was Witches in Bikinis, although I could be wrong. I was wondering what sort of people would put on a show like this, are they musicians, are they actors, are artists? All of the above? None? Since I had little to no interest in doing the research necessary to discover such details, we will all have to remain in the dark for the time being. My favorite part of the evening had to be the static trapeze act, the whole reason we agreed to do the show in the first place. The act consisted of two women on a stationary trapeze doing all sorts of crazy acrobatics. It is really the sort of thing you have to see, I suppose. Suffice it to say, it was awesome. Then we went to set up. The thing about the stage in the front room at Galapagos is that it has a curtain, presumably because they do theater there. So the curtain opened (giving us our grand entrance) and we proceeded to clear out about half the room. I have to say, only half isn't too bad. And you can't completely blame us, it was after midnight on a wednesday. Much to our surprise, we had a cheering section up front. I say we were surprised because the only people in the room we knew were the promoters and Kevin's girlfriend (hi Laura). We started playing If You Wanna Be Happy but I got bored during Kevin's drum solo so I knocked him over and we played Fly Me To The Moon. Kevin somehow managed to stuff himself into his bass drum (we did need the sound dampened, I guess) and we finished the set with me playing Kevin's feet and him mumbling something or another. At the end of the night one of the people up front came up and started chatting with me, and as it happened it was one of the women on the trapeze earlier. I suppose our target audience always ends up being the people in the other bands. But we did strike a deal, in that we agreed to perform together, share a stage, back each other up, etc. So perhaps if you are lucky, sometime soon you too can see two women slithering over a trapeze suspended from something or another whilst Kevin and I beat each other senseless with drumsticks.

Do you ever get the feeling you're being taken for granted? Come see Puttin' On The Ritz again for the first time, or else, etc.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your target audience is not the other bands, fyi. I'm here because I was trying to remember that really funny band I saw at an art show once, and I found you. I'm not a musician; I'm not even creative! See? You probably fell asleep reading this.
    I'll find you in person soon.

     
  • At 10:43 AM, Blogger B.J. said…

    Our target audience is the entire world, I suppose I misspoke as we end up playing for the other bands more often than not. Or better said the other bands are the only ones who seem into it. I can't remember, I was probably drunk at the time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home