Puttin' On The Ritz

More sophisticated by the second, etc.

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Give Our Regards To Broadway, etc.

Greetings and salutations, etc. We've been sleeping it off, or something to that effect, anyway. We were supposed to play some shows that didn't really happen for one reason or another, but did result in Kevin and myself getting into a bit of a tiff. These things are to be expected, I suppose. Fear not, we have moved on to greener pastures, so to speak. Mainly we resolved to be a little more mellow about the whole thing, which is why there was a little bit of a gap between shows and posts and so on and so forth, etc. This is all to say, what's up.

January 21, 2005 -- The Llano Estacado, Brooklyn
So this was the pre-opening party, as to call it the proper opening party might be a bit of an overstatement. I viewed the bathroom installation, which transpired somewhere between 9 and 10pm. I even helped put up the curtain of sorts, which consisted of hanging a bunch of garbage bags from the ceiling. We were not in the bill. We had not asked to play. Kevin and I had discussed potentially performing, but he had a show in Hell's Kitchen and thus did not want to commit to anything. I also did not care to. Dirty Projectors went on somewhere around 11:30pm, much to the dismay of many, as that is quite a late hour to begin a show. Aa followed, along with Big Bear and Parts and Labor. Around 2am Kevin telephoned to alert me to the fact that he was at his apartment, and that if it wasn't too late we could still play. I asked Todd, and it was on, apparently. We set up in front of the stage and asked BJ Warshaw to announce us after Parts and Labor finished. A crowd of approximately 50 or so people were there, maybe. It was 3am and my vision might have been impaired. It was a more casual set, as we had not really planned on playing. That is to say that I didn't bring any ties and Kevin ruined the only one he owns when we played in the ocean. I also had not brought any lyrics, so we had an empty music stand sitting in front of us that may or may not have been knocked over several times by myself or one of our comrades. The floor was filthy and slippery, so I was sliding around and falling over and doing my best to have a good time and/or put on a good show. I think some people walked out on us, but that might have been simply because it was so late. I refuse to accept that they left because they were displeased. Well, maybe. The microphone would occasionally stop carrying my voice through the speakers, and thus I was forced to scream at the top of my lungs. Quite draining, really. In between every song Mr. Roy Styles would scream "One more!" Nice. Not a bad way to end an evening; not a bad way to start the year. I hope that wherever you were, whatever you were doing, you were well. Especially if you were actually there. Goodnight, Gracie.


Post a Comment

<< Home