Puttin' On The Ritz

More sophisticated by the second, etc.

Saturday, March 12, 2005

Rote, etc.

March 11, 2005 -- Asterisk, Brooklyn
There were some casualties last night. I regret to inform all of you that my glasses, considered by many to be one of my defining features, are now totally busted. Someone threw what I now realize to be a snowball at me, although at the time I couldn't really tell what it was through the drunken haze. Perhaps I did not expect to be pelted with such things indoors. Regardless, I took my glasses off and put the in what seemed like a safe place at the time. We, per usual, had set up in the hallway. There was a table in the corner, and Kevin decided it would be a good idea to set up on top of it. There wasn't room for much, so he was playing a snare and a cymbal. I put my glasses under the snare stand, which in retrospect might not have been the best place for them. Kevin did not even bring his bass drum, mostly because he seems to have misplaced it. How do you lose a fucking bass drum? Kevin Shea, apparently, is capable of things you and I cannot even imagine. Mike Colin brought his over, and even played it with us. It is always nice to have someone sit in with us. We debuted "Unforgettable" last night, despite never having rehearsed it. To be honest, I don't really remember much else about the set. It is not incredible how forgettable it was, although I might have been drunk. I would like to take this opportunity to give a shout out to all our brothers in arms who performed with us last night, as it was a distinct pleasure to share an evening with them. So thank you Diamond Nights (best rock and roll band in town, hands down), Cheeseburger (who are currently partying like it's last week, or something like that), Aa (whom twenty year old girls seem to swoon for, those lucky bastards), Telepathy (who were down a man but came out swinging, nonetheless), Lucky Dragons (Luke was seriously amazing last night, I really wish all of you could have seen him play), and Benji Cossa (we'll play shows with him any day of the week). I spent the rest of the evening stumbling around Asterisk, not being able to see very well and being approached by strange women. All of them seemed really interested in telephone numbers, although I did none of the soliciting. I did get to dance extensively with shirtless dudes, including Ted, for some reason. Todd fell asleep for a bit, and then I called him a car. I walked out at 6am into what seemed like a blizzard, which is probably what it was. I mounted my bicycle and rode home drunk, without my glasses, in the snow. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Well, to be honest, it seemed like a terrible idea at the time. But I needed to get home.

7 Comments:

  • At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    bj - that sucks about yr glasses. you have a spare pair tho, right? it was a fun nite despite the mishaps. i love the blog! it took me a while, but now i read it all the time. -professor cohen

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    this is my favorite website

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger B.J. said…

    I would like to take a hot second here to reply to our fans. First and foremost, thank you for all the kind words. If not for you, we would probably just be alcoholics. That is to say that Kevin and I would merely be consuming massive amounts of alcohol for our own benefit, not for yours. We do not deny enjoying the flavor and effects of alcohol, but we do it for you; it is always for you. That you enjoy reading about our exploits later, though we may be sober whilst we recount them, is a joy to both of us. I especially like that professors (though what they are proffessing, exactly, remains to be seen) and generic brands of food seem to be enjoying such things. To you, I raise a glass, etc. With that, I will return to my secret underground lair where even now new experiments are being conducted, and new ideas are being born.

     
  • At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hmm. lots of women approaching you but you couldn't see well...hmm. you sure they were women? or in any case, attractive ones?

    (har.)

    just emailed you. apparently Puttin On The Ritz (or 1/2 of it, anyway) decided to do an impromptu performance in my dreams last night, etc.

    -Marcy
    marcy.a@gmail.com

     
  • At 3:06 PM, Blogger B.J. said…

    I am pretty confident that they were all women, although in this day and age one can never really know for sure. I will say that one of them was quite large in the bosom, which is usually indicative of certain things. What those things are is unimportant. I cannot say for sure that they were all ridiculously attractive, in fact I made no mention of whether or not I was attracted to them before. My judgement might have been crushed by alcohol and poor vision. I will admit to having met one of the young ladies in question previous to the evening in question and she is, in fact, quite a looker. I have had the pleasure of meeting all sorts of lookers in my time, although some of them might have been absent that evening. But what is really important is that we continue to show up in your dreams, Marcy, blonde highlights or no. It seems unlikely that Kevin or myself would do any such thing, at least not anytime soon. I will make sure that you stay informed of any future developments on the hair color front.

     
  • At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    schnifty. i will give you preferred impromptu gig space in my unconscious mind. BJ, all i can add is that you really seemed to enjoy your dream (vocal) performance, and seemed quite at ease. (and yet, no alcohol in sight. maybe you dream-imbibed ahead of time?)

    -Marcy

     
  • At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Geezz.. hope Sam and I weren't that strange and thanks for listening to my sad sob story and trying to cheer me up.. appreciate it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home