Puttin' On The Ritz

More sophisticated by the second, etc.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Greetings From Planet Earth, etc.

April 19, 2005 -- Glasshouse, Brooklyn
We were a last minute addition here, for some reason. Kevin was playing a money gig (read: playing music to help ease the digestion of some diners at a fancy-pants restaurant, or something like that anyway) but made it down to Williamsburg in time for us to jump on this show with USAISAMONSTER, Gang Wizard, Hi-Red Center, and Child Abuse. It made sense at the time, I promise. I told Kevin to come straight down rather than going home and getting drums or sticks or anything, actually. It appeared to me that there would not be enough time, although my neuroses got the better of me this time because he totally would have had time. I am weird about punctuality and we needed to be ready to play as soon as USAISAMONSTER was done. Real or imagined, etc. There were drums set up on stage but we could not discover who they actually belonged to, so Kevin dug up some weird little drums (read: mostly buckets and other bits of detritus) that were lying around and set up on some sort of staircase that didn't really seem to lead much of anywhere. There was a microphone that was failing to actually amplify my voice, so I began screaming at the top of my lungs, struggling to compete with the din of conversation that was wafting through the room. I'm not quite sure if I was successful or not, but that is not really the point. So we played a quick set, which seemed prudent as I'm not exactly sure how many people were actually paying attention. Chris and Jeanie were, and they even appeared to be enjoying themselves. Thank you for that. We closed the set with both of us playing buckets and banisters and me screaming (quite hoarsely, by this point) something about lunar bodies. I cannot recall all of the details. No, that's not true. I can totally recall. Volume might have been an issue but fidelity has never been our strong point, exactly. We do our best, despite the circumstances. I think we do a pretty fucking good job, too. So there, it would seem. We would like to extend a hearty thank you to the bands, thanks again to Todd for letting us play simply because we thought it would be a good idea (the validity of that is still under review, it would seem), and to our friends who stuck around and watched (I'm looking at you Joel, Luke, Paula, Nadav, the people previously mentioned, and anyone else I might be forgetting -- I apologize for not giving you the proper credit), etc. That might not have made a lot of sense, too many parentheticals might spoil the sentence, but that is my way. We here at Puttin' On The Ritz encourage you to revel in the fact that it is spring; get close to a loved one be it your girlfriend, husband, bottle of bourbon, etc. You know what we mean. We will not be cowed by the new pope, mostly because I am a Jew and Kevin is from outer space. Do not be afraid, we are here for you, be you gentile or Yeti or whatever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home