Puttin' On The Ritz

More sophisticated by the second, etc.

Friday, May 06, 2005

Future Reminiscings, etc.

May 5, 2005 -- In a car, The Taconic Parkway
Jason Baker, Nick Lesley, Fiona Campbell, and myself made the two hour trek to Bard College in order to witness a Lightning Bolt show. Why, you might ask, would we travel two hours to see a band that plays New York all the time? Well, Fiona Campbell is from Auckland, New Zealand and has never had the opportunity to see them before. That, and it sounded like fun. Shortly before we left I learned that Kevin Shea was going to be there as well, performing with Talibam. There was some talk of Puttin' On The Ritz jumping on the show, but there were already six bands and I didn't feel like playing for a bunch of sweaty college students who were just going to ignore us anyway. I do have some standards, believe it or not. Suffice it to say that we all got quite drunk in some shed by a soccer field (save Jason, as he was driving), which was actually where the show was taking place. Eventually we finally coralled everyone into the car, including Kevin Shea, who required a ride back to Brooklyn. Some more Jagermeister was passed around -- it is not my personal preference, but Fiona enjoys it so that is what we had because Nick and I had already consumed all of our bourbon (purchased at some weird liquor store en route). We realized that we had two bands in the car that didn't really require too much in the way of instrumentation, just drums. Since anything, really, can be a drum and the palms of your hands can occasionally be sticks, it seemed like a good idea to play a show in the car. We couldn't decide who was going to open for whom, Necking or Puttin' On The Ritz. Eventually Necking cancelled, so it was just us. I asked that everyone sit in with us, oddly enough all five people in the car were drummers. So everyone was banging on anything that was about -- the windows, the seats, the steering wheel (Jason even honked the horn a few times), the other people in the car, etc. I, per usual, screamed. I might be the first person in the world to lose his voice from playing a show in an automobile traveling quite rapidly down the Taconic Parkway at 2am. I could be wrong, however. Believe it or not, we actually did a full set. Why not? We had plenty of time to kill and everyone was having fun. Think of it as a private party. Happy Cinco de Mayo, indeed. I have to admit that it was a bit odd playing a show whilst wearing a seat belt, but it seemed prudent as Jason drives really fast. Kevin spent most of the rest of the ride home chatting with persons known or unknown on my telephone (his battery had died), which I quickly came to realize was some sort of love interest. I will not name any names, but suffice it to say that I don't really know any of the details. Any details that I do know will not be shared publicly unless I'm drunk and you ask me. It would probably loosen my tongue even more if you were the one to get me drunk, but I am making no promises. Perhaps I made the whole thing up, perhaps it is time for a nap. Actually, it is definitely time for a nap but that seems highly unlikely at press time. I hope you are well, wherever you are, whoever you might be. I think of you often, just so you know. I might be thinking of you right now. I cannot guarantee that, but:

Somewhere out there,
Beneath the pale blue night,
Someone's thinking of me,
And loving me tonight.
Somewhere out there,
Someone's saying a prayer,
Then we'll find one another,
In that big somewhere out there.

And even though I know how very far apart we are,
It helps to think we might be wishing
On the same bright star,
And when the night will start to sing
A lonesome lullaby,
It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the
Same big sky.

Somewhere out there,
If love can see us through,
Then, we'll be together,
Somewhere out there, out where dreams, come true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home